Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Work on the Keene Family Cemetery

Tonight, Markey (my cousin) and I went to Keeneland to plant flowers at the Keene family cemetery. For those of you who do not know, that is where my Aunt Cissy is buried. She died just over 2 years ago of ovarian cancer.
Oliver "Jack" Keene was Markey's great uncle and the founder of Keeneland. Cissy's parents and her older brother lived in the Old Keene Home before she was born (it is the white home on the Keeneland property).
One of Cissy's projects before she passed was the restoration of the Keene family cemetery. It had not been taken care of very well over the years, and was in serious need of repair. It is almost ironic because she started the project before she was even diagnosed with the cancer. Ever since she passed, Markey and Missy have gone out and done work periodically to upkeep what Cissy did. Tonight, in preparation for the spring meet, we planted orange and purple petunias in large pots. I was always very close to my aunt and miss her so much, so it was my pleasure to help out!
My Grandmother Dut and Aunt Cissy

No comments: