Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Mocha Club

Nashville was great, as usual. I am already itching to go back, I just love it. If you are friends with me on Facebook or MySpace you may have already read this blog. I just wanted to post it on here as well. This is at the forefront of my mind because Wertz and Barnes talked about it at the concert on Saturday. Also, check out the video :)

So, heres the deal. A few months ago I got involved in something that has the potential to be life changing for thousands of African women. It's called Mocha Club. The concept is that you give up 2 mochas (or anything that you don't need) a month, which equals roughly $7, and you give it to a cause that is greater than yourself. My initial thought was that $7 a month really wouldn't do much good. I was amazed to find out that....

WHAT CAN $7 DO IN AFRICA?
In the U.S., $7 = 2 mochas

In Kibera, Kenya, $7 =
3 meals in a day for 9 orphans

In Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, $7 =
1 school term for 2 children

In all of Africa, $7 =
clean water for 7 Africans for 1 year

Its amazing that such an insignificant amount of money in America can go so far in Africa. The real decision for me to get involved came when I found out the specific project that the money was going toward. Right now they are building "The Village of Hope." Which is a safe place where women who were once sex slaves of the LRA (militant rebel group in Northern Uganda) are given a second chance at life. There are a total of 500 of these women who will benefit from the Village of Hope - some will live there and all will use the medical facility, the job training center, the school and all the other facilities - and the money raised through the mocha club is used for just that.

For me, this demanded a response.

For more information, check out www.mochaclub.org. I'm sure that website can explain the whole thing in a more clear and concise way. Feel free to also message me if you have anymore questions. The website is set up as an online community. If you want to join, we can start a "team" and partner together with however many people want to join us. Whether its mochas, diet cokes, eating out or movies, I encourage you to prayerfully consider giving up something you dont need to help these women. We are so richly blessed!

Matt Wertz just got back from Africa, and wrote an update on the progress of the Village. Check out the blog at www.myspace.com/mattwertz or his website at www.mattwertz.com and read it.

Thanks for reading

No comments: