Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rags to Riches

Today was our first real beach day! We got into Watercolor Wednesday night but the weather has been stinky and we have been busy running errands getting ready for the Finks to arrive. We were so excited to wake up to great weather this morning. It was beautiful and sunny so we drove the Jeep outonto Grayton to watch the Rags to Riches Regatta. Click on the link for more info. It was SO neat! Apparently they used to do it every year, but took a break up until last year when they brought it back. I am so glad they started doing it again because I think it will be a fun 4th of July week tradition.

We got out to the beach around 11, right as they were lining up the boats.
There were 18 boats in the race. (I don't know if that is the official number, but that is the number I heard, so I am going with that) :-)
Mom and me waiting for the race to start!

My dad kept saying he was going to learn how to captain one of these boats and race next year. ;) One thing is for sure, he couldn't pay me to get on one of those with him! Ha, I love my dad, but I don't know if I would trust him in a situation like that!

The boats took off and started the race. This picture was taken right as they had gotten off Grayton beach. The course was 3 loops in the ocean, marked by buoys. It took around 3 hours for them to complete! Some boats capsized and came back early, but the majority of them finished the entire race!
The whole time I was thinking about how Breck would really love this! He is at home, seeing as Kristin is due with Sloane any day now. I can't wait until next year when we can show him!


2 comments:

Andrea @ The Dawley Fam said...

Sounds fun! I wish I was at the beach right now! Hope you have a great 4th of July weekend! ~Andrea

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the comment Andrea! We did have a great week at the beach. Beautiful!