Monday, August 16, 2010

NYC Recap Day 4 & 5

I lumped day 4 & 5 together because I got light on picture taking by then. :) Sunday was Dana and Sunny's last day so we got up and they spent the morning packing up all of their things. We left the apartment and tried to get in a few last minute stops before they had to head home. We started off by lunch at S'mac. I LOVE S'mac! It is a macaroni and cheese restaurant in the east village and I always make it a point to go when I am in NYC. They have a list of choices but you can also assemble your own. Emily had her macaroni with rosemary and chicken, yum! I opted for the classic 4 cheese. It is really good, fast and cheap relative to most spots in the city.

Sunny and Dana at S'mac
After S'mac we headed uptown a bit to see Central Park. It goes without saying that this is a must do if you are in NYC. We took the subway to about the middle section of the park and came up on the Jackie Onassis reservoir, so beautiful!
Me, Emily and Sunny in front of the reservoir.
We spent about an hour walking the part and probably didn't even get 10% of it covered! You cannot really grasp how big it actually is. You almost forget you are in the middle of such a huge city. The great lawn is located pretty centrally in the park and it always full of people.
After the park we went over to Serendipity 3 to get a frozen hot chocolate! The wait was about an hour long so we walked a block over to check out their Williams Sonoma! You can't keep us away for long :)
Their store was 2 stories! It made our store seem so little.

Sunny checking out their oil tasting bar.
One of Dana's jobs in our store is to check expiration dates and discount any food that is getting ready to expire. I about died when I looked over and she was checking their expiration dates! So funny! I am happy to report that none of the food that we looked at had expired.
Emily with all the yummy cake mixes and baking supplies.
After Williams we headed back to Serendipity and got seated for our dessert! And as usual, it did not disappoint!
Sunny got a sundae that had a ton of fruit and even a slice of lemon pie at the bottom. It was fabulous!
Dana and I both got the famous frozen hot chocolate!
Emily got a sundae that had pecans, fudge and caramel all over it. There was also a piece of pecan pie at the bottom. Oh my gosh, it was good!
After Serendipity it was time to send Dana and Sunny to the airport. We were sad to see them go :( After they left, Emily and I spent some time just relaxing around the apartment. Later that evening we headed down to Tribecca together to buy a gift card for our gracious host, John. I had talked to him earlier in the week and he told me that one of his favorite places to eat is MEGU. So we went there to buy him a gift card. Well, I am adding MEGU to my list of places to check out. We sat in the bar area while we were waiting on our gift card and it had the coolest atmosphere. I am looking forward to actually eating there next time I am in NYC.

After we got the gift card, we headed back over to the meatpacking district to have dinner at Dos Caminos. My cousin Missy had recommended it so we decided to check it out. We got the homemade guacamole (yum!) and chicken tacos. I really enjoyed the meal, but I have determined that I am not a fancy mexican girl. I like the hole in the wall places over the nice places when it comes to mexican. After dinner we headed back to the apartment and hit the sack! We were exhausted!

The next morning we woke up and our first order of business was to get all of John's sheets and towels to the laundry mat. I just couldn't stand the thought of him coming home to a bunch of laundry to do, which is pretty much the only reason we stayed until Monday. The laundry mat was an experience in and of itself! We had both never used a laundry mat so we had to ask how to put the detergent in the machine. Pitiful, I know! But in our defense, these were commercial washers and looked nothing like the washers I have at home.

This is the only picture I have of the day and it just makes me laugh. I'm sure we looked a little out of place :)
After we got everything washed, we headed back to the apartment, took showers and headed to the airport. We were able to catch a direct flight back to Lexington and got home around 8:30 that night. It was the best birthday I have ever had and I am so thankful that I got to spend it with 3 ladies that I really do love!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Isn't NYC GREAT? I have only been there once. Thank you for telling me about Matt Wertz and Gabe Dixon. Listened to them on the internet and YES!, I love them! Gabe Dixon has that Elton John feel. I LOVE Dave Barnes. I got one of his c.d. like 7 or 8 years ago and it had 5 acoustic songs on it. IT is one of my all time favorite c.d.s.